The Technical Services Unit
Providing technical support for electronics hardware used within
FEPS by Teaching and Research
TSU home page contents -
- ↓ The TSU Advice Pages
(construction techniques, useful data)
Calendar (UoS access only)
- ↓ Contacting the TSU
- ↓ Electrical Safety
- ↓ Laboratory work support
- ↓ Staff in the TSU
- ↓ What does the TSU do?
- ↓ Printed Circuit Boards
(FEPS access only)
- ↓ Examples of our work
- ↓ Where is the TSU?
- ↓What's ?
- ↓ (2001 April) Decibels demystified.
- ↓ (2001 March 2nd.) Power loss in wound components.
- ↓ (1997 May 25th.) Mouse connectors
See also ...
[↑ Elec. Eng.]
Staff in the TSU
David J. Fishlock (Head of TSU)
Richard A. Clarke (electrical safety, design consultancy,
teaching lab support)
Eric A. Worpe (ATI/Nodus instrumentation design and development)
[↑ TSU home page index]
What does the TSU do?
It provides technical support for both
teaching and research groups within FEPS. This includes -
- Assesment of safety issues, particularly electrical safety testing.
- Repairs maintenance and calibration of electronic systems and equipment.
- Verification of incoming new equipment for safe transit and operation.
- Registration of new equipment on the Inventory and disposal of redundant items.
- Design and construction of specialised instruments for
- Design and construction of Lab Class experiments.
- Production of printed circuit boards, particularly for student project work.
- Advice regarding external suppliers of components or equipment.
- Practical advice to students regarding their project work.
- Provision of specialised services such as
- Service on Faculty and University committees.
- Emergency issue of electronic components.
Once that horse is out of the way, we'll have your stable door fixed in a jiffy.
[↑TSU home page index]
Faculty staff and students can reach us on the numbers below:
Telephone (International): (+44) 1483 689839
Telephone (National): 01483 689839
Telephone (Internal): Extension 9839
Facsimile: (+44) 1483 534139
Postal: Technical Services Unit, University of Surrey (FEPS), Guildford,
Surrey, GU2 7XH, UK.
Routine job requests
can also be submitted via the web (UoS
access only). Please use the following template for equipment
Equipment type: Lab bench power supply
University Equipment Inventory No: KZ62963
Manufacturer's serial number: 777500
Fault symptom: +ve supply terminal snapped off.
User manual supplied: Yes
Service manual supplied: No
Or just ring us.
We are here most weekdays from 08:20 to 17:00. Check the University Key Dates
for exceptions. Our luncheon is from 13:00 to 14:00.
[↑TSU home page index]
Last modified: 2016 February 4th.