Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering IET Advice Page

Welcome Joining IET IET Resources Professional Registration IET Surrey Contact

Professional Registration

It is often the case that many graduates wish to upgrade their degree qualification to become a chartered engineer so that CEng will appear after their name. This will mean that no further study is normally necessary beyond master level although some degree of work experience, which has been planned and/or reviewed should also be assessed for level of quality in terms of whether it shows evidence of defined competences in a set of areas that a chartered engineer should hold. The following link on the IET website gives more details as to why you may wish to seek chartered engineer status and what it involves.

In order to register any professional training you undertake during or after your degree programme, you will be required to join IET, where information is available on this website. Several companies have formal IET approved training programmes which is something to look out for when seeking graduate employment. Further to this, the membership mentoring scheme is also a very useful way in which you can help develop your professional registration.

The IET themselves provide a detailed guide on how one goes about registering at different stages of their career, which this website does not wish to duplicate. However, based on this information there are some supportive notes below that will  help you think about preparing for chartered engineer status whatever stage you are at in your studies or research. Students are encouraged to use IET's Career Manager to help them through the process of building up a profile of professional achievement. You do however have to be a member to use this facility.

For Undergraduates

First and foremost, the key starting point for progressing in professional registration is to be undertaking an IET accredited course, which all EE undergraduate courses are suitable for here at Surrey. Therefore completing the course (usually MEng is now required or BEng and further study such as a postgraduate MSc course) is one of the first steps towards CEng status, while BEng is suitable for IEng status and then you should look further into IET’s information at graduation to see how you can plan a suitable training and registration programme with your employer.

For those who undertake a professional training year or summer training, it is possible that the work completed during this time can be registered to contribute towards CEng or CEng status. The action one should take in this instance is to join IET if not already and begin registration on Career Manager of what training was already received through an industrial placement. Further to this you should get your employer to validate it when you finish your placement. A new scheme launced in 2014 allows you to apply for student technician accrditation to recognise the practical and/or IT and soft skills that you can obtain while on your professional training year. More information is here.

For Postgraduate Taught

If you have gained a BEng/MEng degree or equivalent and are now undertaking a master level MSc course, you may well be close to obtaining the necessary training to start working towards being a chartered engineer. However, your undergraduate degree may be in an area such as physics where you have moved over to an engineering based MSc course. This could potentially have some effect on your application for which seeking advice from the IET may be necessary. Anyone at postgraduate level pursuing a career in engineering should seriously consider joining IET at this stage if they have not already done so as it will enable you to begin or continue any professional development programme at beyond graduation, which the professional registration process  will assist you in and link you onto other information.

It may also be the case that you have already gained some professional work experience, in which case it is worth already adding this information to Career Manager to identify how much further you need to go beyond graduation.

For Postgraduate Researchers

Following a doctoral degree, it is usually the case that anyone registering will have to complete some professional experience beyond obtaining a doctorate. A doctorate in itself cannot be registered as such for professional registration though the skills and competences gained during a doctorate can be applied in employment following and demonstrated for professional registration. This may therefore take one or two years to prove though it is certainly beneficial after a PhD to plan a suitable training programme. One can find more information about this at the professional registration process  will assist you in and link you onto other information.